Tuesday 9 August 2011

London Riots: Part Two


And so it continued! once I had finished writing my blog about the riots in London yesterday more unfolded! It honestly felt like there was some sort of contagious disease spreading and we were watching the news to see if it was spreading towards us. Luckily it did not but for the places it did break out in, well there are no words to describe in how shameful it was. Croydon was by far the worst in my eyes. To watch a furniture store that had been there on that site for hundreds of years literally melt to the ground was just horrific. I managed to google street view the building just as the fire broke out and then earlier this morning I saw the aftermath of the building and to know that it was burnt down as some sort of game, because they could or because they were just simply bored gives me no hope for some people that live in this amazing city. All through Facebook that evening it was like watching a news stream. Friend update after friend update you could see what was happening around the city which is really odd to think that we were actually living the news story that was being broadcast around the world. There were also two other smaller news stories that come out of this that made me smile and gave me a little more hope and that was that of a group of people that live in a close (a building area where there is only one way in and one way out) They put their children to bed and walked to the end of the street and stood shoulder to shoulder to make sure that none of the rioters managed to get into their street. The other news story was the clean up operation in Clapham. The community managed to arrange a mass clean up operation and the amount of people that turned up with their brooms was amazing. Its nice to know that under all this nastiness and thuggery (that is my new favorite word) that there are still people that care and are proud to live where they live. I stand by my city and am proud to live here. Its just a shame that not everyone has this same opinion. As I have said before I pray that the people that have caused this damage face very harsh consequences. My thoughts today are with the people around the UK that have had to witness such thuggery that the people in London had to witness yesterday 

Signing out, Thatmfeeling 





No comments:

Post a Comment