Thursday 25 August 2011

My Visit to Bath


so a couple of days ago I did something that I have wanted to do for such a long time. I went out traveling! The place of choice was Bath. I have had a long fascination with the city because it stands out against most places in the UK. London has such a huge mix of architecture, its like cutting down a tree and seeing all the different rings over the years. Bath is different to this though and the city has such a distinctive look and style that is applied to the majority if not all of the city, this is what makes it so attractive (well attractive to me anyway) When I got off the train I had a rush of excitement “I have finally done it!” as I walked into the centre I could not stop smiling to myself. It seemed to get more and more beautiful the closer you got in and what really opened my eyes and took my breath away was the backdrop of trees and houses that were high in the hills. I have always lived on flat land so the idea that the city has a backdrop of something other than sky just really confuses me. My first stop was the Roman Baths and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The main bath is so publicised that I felt like I had been there before but it was the rest of the baths that made the journey worth the visit. There is so much more to the place than just a bath. The engineering, design, thought and building that went into this area is just overwhelming. To think that this happened so many years ago yet they have managed to achieve something so beautiful and amazing. Its a shame that they are not still used to this day. When you are there you learn about the story of how the bath house eventually deteriorated, flooded and then collapsed in on itself. To think that all that hard work just come crashing down in such a short amount of time is rather upsetting. One great thing however is that they have been recovered and even though they are not used how they were originally designed, you know that they are going to be there for as long as I could imagine! Just referring back to a previous comment on how its a shame that they aren't used to this day. There is now a building next to the main roman baths that has been renovated and built to be a fully working, thermaspa which has the same use as the original baths (its brilliant!) the swimming pool which is again naturally heated is situated on the roof of the building so that you can see the surrounding scenery and city no matter what time of the year. 
The second place that I visited was the Bath Abbey. I was in two minds about going in because I did stupidly think “Well I have seen a church before, if you have seen one you have seen them all” also I am not a fan of being a tourist in a building that is used for religious beliefs. I find it a little disrespectful and a bit like people just coming in to see my home. I did in the end go in and I left a donation and sat in for a religious reading so I could understand more about the church and more about the people that used it. To me it sounds odd but I have wanted to do that. I am not religious but I do like to learn about other peoples religions. After this I managed to boo myself onto the tower tour where I could go all the way to the top and see Bath from the highest building top (I think... I mean swear there was nothing taller around!) It was one of the things that I am so glad I managed to do. If I had come away and not gone in I think I would have forever been thinking “why” and if I had gone back and visited then I would have kicked myself for not doing it the first time! The view was like none I had seen. It did feel slightly like standing on the empire state building and looking down at the city (yet this city was smaller and not so tall) I have attached some photos of the view and my travel around the city. Any of you that are able to go and have not I seriously recommend doing it. I feel like I have achieved something and I know I will talk fondly of the place forever more (I will start to annoy some people too!!) all in all I enjoyed myself so much that I am already planning my next visit to the new spa and it has pushed me to experience other places around me. There is so much in our reach yet we fail to touch it!








Signing out, Thatmfeeling 

No comments:

Post a Comment