Saturday 26 February 2011

Bring back the Skylon


I was looking up information on the new landmark that is being built on the Olympic grounds when I come across a rather strange old landmark. Before looking for it I had no idea this thing even existed but what I found out about it really amazed me! It was a very slender and modern sculpture that was erected in London in 1951. It looks like an alien space ship for anorexics but I am so surprised that people loved it back then. The sculpture is something that would stand out and lap up the attention in 2011 so I can only imagine the reaction that it received back then in 1951. Sadly the sculpture was demolished in 1952 (I am under the impression that it was never designed to last) by orders of Winston Churchill who saw it as a symbol of the Labour government. there are many rumors as to where the parts of it are now but there is a campaign to re-erect the Skylon again (many locations but clearly it should only be resurrected in London, I voted for City Hall as I think it would be the best new home for this amazing work of art) Please take a look at the website. I think the while idea is amazing and I really do hope to see this art standing proud in London very very soon. WE NEED MORE ART! 


Link to the Skylon website:
http://www.voteforskylon.com/vote.php?votefor=11


No comments:

Post a Comment