Thursday 8 September 2011

From Holiday Brochure to Crazy Horse!


Okay, so I was looking through a holiday brochure for holidays in America and ended up looking at Las Vegas. The city really intrigues me and I see it as a more developed version of Dubai now (Some may not agree!) Yet Vegas seems more fun and happy and Dubai just screams for attention. As I was looking through the brochure I decided to get a closer look on google earth and street view the whole bloody place for about an hour. It was amazing! I feel that I do not have to go now because I have traveled the streets in my virtual car! This then moved onto Miami, San Francisco, London (don't ask why) and then back to the catalogue to look at New England. When I arrived at New England in my virtual google street view car I was really surprised how brightly coloured the leaves are in Autumn (Fall) which then got me looking into why this is (I can hear you screaming at me... geek!) So as I was looking at why the UK is left with yellow rather dull leaves for autumn (Fall) and New England gets the funky coloured ones that everyone wants to see, something passed my eye. I saw a monument that is being built in the Black Hills, south Dakota, now I have no idea how I managed to cross paths with this thing but I have never heard of the monument known as “Crazy Horse” What fascinated me is that this monument has been in progress since 1948 and still has such a huge way to go. I cant believe how much work has to go into something like this and it is amazing how great it will look when it is finally complete in however many tens of hundreds of years (if it has taken them that long to do the head then its going to take forever to create the horse and his body!) Sometimes it is nice to take my mind of my usual thought of architecture as I know it and look to places like this and see this odd but incredibly fascinating monuments that are being created. What makes me laugh is that I managed to find out so much information about so many things that I never intended to look at just because I was looking at holidays in a brochure! I hope that the monument is completed in my lifetime and it is a random thing that I would love to go and visit one day (its just a shame that these people build these monuments in the middle of nowhere so you have to travel for years just to get there!) Take a look and let me know what you think





Once completed the mountain side will look like this (maybe not so white!)


signing out, Thatmfeeling 

No comments:

Post a Comment