Thursday 15 September 2011

Westfield: Stratford City Review


It opened on the 13th September and it has been rocking ever since! Today I decided to go and have a look at the brand new shopping centre at Stratford City! I wanted to go on the 13th but, from experience of a Westfield shopping centre opening, I knew that to save my own life I would delay it by a couple of days. This is London’s second Westfield shopping centre and let me tell you, the first one was big and this one is bigger. Overall I was rather impressed by the whole experience but there were a few things that I am a little off with. Firstly I think that it is awful that certain stores were not open for the Westfield opening day and to name and shame some of them being, Armani Jeans, H&M, The Disney store and Oasis. I cant believe that stores with names as big as these cant get their sections open in time and I think that they should be ashamed with themselves (I know I do not know every detail as to why they weren’t but I bet you nearly all of them signed up to have a store there almost immediately as the shopping centre was announced to be built) It is their loss though as when the hype and crowds slightly die down, these companies would have lost out on the mass promotion coming from the shopping centre and the rest of the stores. They could have made a fortune from this event. Anyone who has already been to Westfield Shepards Bush may comment that the stratford site does not feel as large but when you start walking around Stratford, you realise just how much bigger the stores within it actually are. I think that Shepards bush site has rather allot of public walking space, this and the fact it is set out into a rectangle but stratford’s site has one more extra level and uses more walkways rather than huge open spaces so it feels completely different. Apart from this I really liked the fact that there were shops and restaurants outside and there was also some sort of gathering space with an odd statue column thing that I think had TV screens in (okay worst description ever) The site itself will do wonders for Stratford. People seem to be complaining that the other shopping centre (which is awful) will fail and to be honest, I would love for it to be knocked down but I really do not think that it will fail. The two shopping centres cater for different types of people and once all the hype has died down I think that over the next couple of years you will get a divide between the shops so one centre will be known for bargain and the other one will be known for more well known fashion names (it happened in the previous city that I lived in too) If you live in London and have not been down (or live in the UK for that fact) then I recommend that you go and have a look. There are things for everyone there and the food courts are amazing. If you are a visiter then I also recommend that you take a look but be warned that it is not anywhere near the city centre (it is zone 3) I really look forward to seeing the site fully developed after the olympics and really do hope that it does well. It is about time that east London had lots of money ploughed into it and I think that this will be the start of something better to come in the future. 









1 comment: