Saturday 2 July 2011

Gay Pride / London Gay Pride


The question that I got asked more than enough today was “are you going to Gay Pride?” and my usual answer to this question is “I don’t think so” sometimes it is responded with “are you not proud” or “why on earth not” and my answer to this is because it just simply is not me. I really love being gay, I think my life would be awful if I was straight and I am so thankful for the people that fought and stood up for Gay rights and have got us to where we are now but the one thing that just puts me off about pride is the type of people that it seems to attract. Yes I know that sounds awful and I do not mean it in a nasty way but pride has become an idea of slutty people that want to use it as an excuse to get naked, slut around and perv over people. I know its not all like that but when I walk past Soho on a pride day this is all I see. I am sure that this is what many other people see to! The day should be a day of celebration but I don't see how people walking around with small pink boxer shorts on screaming and singing to Britney down a road really represents gay people very well. I know that there will be many people who disagree with me on this and will say it is freedom to be what we want to be but I just do not see it as that, I see it as fitting to a stereotype that still gives us the negative view of people to this day. It is very surprising to see someones reaction that meets a normal gay person when they have never met someone gay before “how are you gay, you don't speak like a queer with your hands out” I have actually heard someone say that and this just shows that we have this label attached to us. I am proud, I am grateful and I feel extremely lucky but this does not mean that I will be skimping on down to pride if I have something better to do


love you all and have a great pride, signing out, Thatmfeeling

No comments:

Post a Comment