Tuesday 19 July 2011

World Trade Centre Development


Now for any of you that have read my blog before or know anything about me, I LOVE architecture! I always find myself looking up architectural news whenever I have a spare minute and even when I am going to bed I am still looking and reading about the goings on in the architectural world! The world trade centre has been a site that I have been interested on ever since I can imagine. I loved the twin towers and love the whole look, style,feel and sense of pride that you get from New York. Sadly I never got to see the twin towers and it churns my stomach even to this day in the way that they were forcibly removed from such an amazing city and skyline. I have visited ground zero and when I did it sent tingles down my back. Yes it looked like a building site and my brain does not have the capacity to actually process what would have gone on that day but it moved me. What gives me such great pride however is the progress with the world trade centre site. It has taken such a long time but the building, development and progress is really starting to speed up. I really do believe that designs have been handled so well and really show a city that is willing to progress yet remember the people that helped it get there. The memorial itself is two pools that take up the ground space of the original twin towers. around the pools are the names of the people that died in the towers, the surrounding world trade centre buildings, the flights and the pentagon. There will be a museum situated in between these two pools which will also be surrounded by trees. The whole concept is just so flattering and beautiful that it takes my breath away. I understand that many of the families of people who died in these attacks wanted the site to remain a park but I think that this concept is even better. The site will also contain office buildings on it as it did before and I do understand the need for them to be there. New York barely has any space and is in desperate need for more buildings but I think that these buildings can be forgiven with their exceptional design. The freedom tower is the most striking and is the tallest building by far (I think it will stand taller than the original towers) I think personally for me that it represents progress, pride, determination and strength. I understand that I did not know anyone who died in these attacks but I hope that these buildings will be admired and thought of in a similar way by those who did. I have attached some images below of the current progress just two months before the memorial site opens to the public for the anniversary of September 11th. I am not a New Yorker (even though I feel like one) but it is so nice to see a city that is so proud and amazing to progress and not be put down by such an awful act of terrorism.


This photo was taken of the WTC site in June 2011
See the progress of the last four years
an artists impression of what the memorial pools will look like with the names arranged around them 
a recent picture of one of the pools and the scale of it

No comments:

Post a Comment