Wednesday 15 February 2012

Big Fat Gypsy Weddings: back for the better?



Big fat gypsy weddings is back and as the advert states... its bigger, its fatter and it is gypsier! Whilst I do have to admit that I love watching the show, it is for all the wrong reasons. The program is rather tacky and is basically out to make fools out of all these people. Whilst in some lights it does open our eyes to their way of life, in others it is just there for us to make negative opinions and laugh at these poor people at their own expenses. The first episode shows a gypsy wedding where two girls get dressed up as a pineapple and a palm tree and then for one of them to get married in a dress covered in cats.  We also get a look into a gypsy beauty pageant where some of the girls are horrifically hanging out of their dresses and giving it their all. Whilst I have nothing against gypsy people and do try to accept most people at their own, I just feel rather disturbed when I watch the show and wonder to myself if half of it is actually real. The program also brings up the long old argument about their rights. Should they be allowed to live the way that they do when they live in a country run in a completely different way? I would have to agree and disagree with this. I think that they should be able to live in caravans but that they should also have to pay council tax. If you are using facilities that are provided by the tax payer then you should be paying the tax in the first place. Should they be able to throw these exotic and outrageous weddings and not get kicked out at the last minute? I personally think that they should be able to but they must also have procedures that can deal with the arguments and fights that are now nearly as well known to us as the wedding dresses that these people wear. For entertainment purposes I think that this show is one to watch and you will be talking about it for hours. For factual and educational purposes however I think that it is not exactly as it says on the tin and it may cause more bad than good. Let me know what you think of the show and if you will be tuning in for a big fat wad of gypsy next week?





Signing out, Thatmfeeling 

No comments:

Post a Comment