Friday 10 February 2012

The Super Bowl: I applaud M.I.A!


It has to be said, I have a new found love for M.I.A. It all started when I saw her in that cheerleading outfit, looking completely out of place with an expression of sarcasm on her face. Then it come to the Super Bowl and she stuck her middle finger up at millions of spectators! Madonna is pissed, probably because she had her thunder stolen and you have a bunch of angry American parents complaining here, there and everywhere! Whilst I would not have performed the act of sticking my finger up in front of so many people, if I knew the reaction it would get then I probably would have. If I was M.I.A then I would have stuck both of my middle fingers up just to add some more umpf to it and get even more of a reaction. What gets to me is that some small finger gesture hits the headlines and is apparently inappropriate for the millions of kids that are watching yet these parents let them play computer games where they can shoot each other, they can pretend to be the pop stars that have their vaginas and boobs hanging out and they can even watch the over dramatised films and programs that witness them to violence, sex and everything else. One little finger just seems so pathetic. What is amusing also is that if you watch the clip back, I think it is very hard to see M.I.A doing it! I had to watch the clip several times to see the act in all of its glory. I bet only very few people really saw it and because of all the hype now everyone has had a chance to. I am not saying that the finger language is a good thing and that we should all do it, I think that it shows that there are more important things in life that we need to be focusing on rather than a stunt that has worked particularly well. It also shows how protective and anal some people are with specific topics. Because it has hit the news everyone has joined the bandwagon, it makes me laugh that many people this side of the Atlantic are applauding it. If the Super Bowl wanted clean, sleek and innocent acts then the last people they should have chosen for it should have been Madonna (fanny exposure, always trying to push it that little bit further) Niki Minaj (an over sexulised rapper with foul language) M.I.A (who is clearly known for being who she is) and LMFAO (who get naked, wibble their bits about, getting sexy and they know it) Whilst I love all of these entertainers, we know what they are like and if you don’t want your kids to be exposed to it then make them leave the room when the half time show is on... Simples! I admire M.I.A for standing up and doing something unplanned. I have watched many interviews with her and do agree with many points that she tries to get across. Whilst I do not like all of her music (she will be pleased to hear that!) I do applaud the points that she tries to get across and wish her all the best in doing so in the future! 




Hope you enjoyed the performance, another one to add to the list of Super Bowl oppsies! Signing out, Thatmfeeling 







1 comment:

  1. The bottom line is, you receive huge fines for doing this on national television, and over half the country has this on.

    Put it this way, this isn't the watershed time like in the UK. You can get away with just about anything on cable television in the US. This was national broadcast television, free to all Americans. Remember, American has over 900 channels, a handful of them are national and free-to-air. There are standards in place for these channels.

    Madonna has gotten in trouble repeatedly for saying "motherfuckers" on television and on radio in the past in UK, with the BBC having to come out issuing apologies left and right on air, in writing, and in blood.

    If this was a UK game, and this happened, trust me, Ofcom would have been investigating and issuing multi-thousand pound fines, so let's not make this anti-American piece, because the UK is much more into censorship than the US. America doesn't have hate speech legislation, and never will. You can say whatever you want, just not on "broadcast" television.

    You are correct about video games and the sort, with parents more outraged over sex than violence.

    People across the pond applauding this seem like America-haters, which is sad.

    I did see the finger. Maybe you were watching a later censored broadcast.

    ReplyDelete