Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Shard's Bigger Brother


As I am sure you are all aware, I have an obsession with the architecture and an even bigger obsession with the Shard, London Bridge. As I was getting my daily dose of architecture, I noticed a building that I almost mistook for the Shard building itself! The Lotte Jamsil Super tower as it is titled is the Shard’s bigger brother and I mean bigger! When the Shard stands at 305.7m, this monster stands at 555.7m making it a Shard that has gone through puberty and more. Whilst I can’t help but love this building, I think it looks too similar to the one and only. I guess in defense of the Lotte Jamsil, any building that now has the shape of a really stretched out pyramid, could be classed as a copy of the Shard but even down to the layers with more glass underneath and the top of the tower splitting into separate pieces just seems a little to copy cat for my liking. If you cover up the bottom of the tower with your hand (or a sheet of paper if you dont want to put finger prints on your screen!) you can see the similarities and I wish that these two landmarks could be slightly different to each other. Both buildings are very clearly buildings of detail and quality as you can see by the interior impressions and the aims of these two buildings. Whilst London is set to get two more Shardettes in the not so distant future, it looks like we will have to settle with a fourth member of the family the other side of the world too. I will keep you posted with the details of all four buildings as they come to light. 

signing out, Thatmfeeling 











No comments:

Post a Comment