Thursday 19 January 2012

Brighton: The West Pier


I have never been to Brighton but there has been something there that has fascinated me for years. The thing that I have found so intriguing is it’s west pier. I am not one for getting all emotional over some poles sticking out of the sea bed but there is something rather beautiful and also rather sad in the story of how the pier stands today. Photographs that I have seen of this pier are so dramatic that it sends out an array of emotions. Its scary, rather creepy, beautiful and upsetting all at once. I love the fact that the pier is still standing in its ruined state today and was not destroyed just to clear it from the sea bed. We all know that it will only be a matter of time before the sea reclaims its space and that the remains of the pier are lost forever so the most has to be made of it now. It sounds rather odd but I think that this structure should be re erected in its iron skeleton form as a work of art and as a memorial to the beautiful pier that once stood in its place. I must not be the only one that has such a fascination with this structure and I am sure that many people would travel to Brighton with the intentions of seeing this work of art. Whilst looking into information on this pier I come across a project that I am told is already in full swing. The i360 is a new observation tower that is being planned to be erected on the site of the West Pier. This tower will give 360 degree views of Brighton and its surrounding land and seascape. From the planners of the London eye, this tower is planned to be up and running in 2013. 



Above: Brighton West Pier before, during and after the fire Below: The new plans for the i360 

Signing out, Thatmfeeling 

No comments:

Post a Comment