Sunday 15 January 2012

Downton Abbey: Reviewed


Okay, so I have to admit that I am a late bloomer when it comes to the Downton Abbey club. I have only just finished watching series one and I really am lost for words! I am a huge fan of period dramas but hearing its release, had to shun this one because I knew that everyone was watching it! When it comes to mass watched programs I have a concept that are usually tacky and only popular because of some well known cast members and a huge advertising campaign behind it. Oh how I was wrong with this one! The great cast are there but there is so much more to the show than just the cast alone. The Abbey itself is just breathtaking! so breathtaking in fact that when it reopens in Spring I am going to visit it to get the true experience of the place. The show really has picked such a beautiful backdrop to film with and I think that it is because of this that the sucess of the show has gone through the roof. The Abbey seems to become a character in itself that has a huge affect on the peoples lives and really puts some flavor into the story lines. The writing is also great for the show and has to be noted. humorous pinches throughout the whole series, not just give the show the beauty and wow factor but also add to the entertainment factor too. I really do not need to go into depths with the cast. I think that they are all great. I have my favorites like we all do but there really is not a character that can be picked out that really has not put their heart and soul into their acting. You hate the ones that should be hated and love the ones that need to be loved. I love the contrast between the servants and the lords of the house but think it is also great that the show has focused on the connection between the two so well. If you thought that was all, you would be wrong! There is yet another thing that has to be pointed out from this series and that is the music. I had a little listen to the album on iTunes and it just sends you away as you are listening to it. It really adds to the mood of the scenes and pushes so much more emotion through the show. If this music was changed or they simply did not use it then the whole show would have such a different feel to it. I am tempted to buy the album for myself too!  If you have never watched this show then you have to straight away, I demand it. Even if it is just to see how beautifully filmed it is, it will win you over and you will be back for a second series just like me. I am really looking forward to the second series and the third after that. I am not one for writing such a positive review but I think that this show has earned it all the way. There really is not a negative thing to say about it other than it needs more episodes! The last thing I am going to leave you with is “give me more Maggie Smith!” 



No comments:

Post a Comment