Saturday 7 January 2012

Why Is TV So Crap!?


I have not really written much about my Christmas as it was a time for me to get away and enjoy time with the family but it was a good time to share time with each other and do the classic thing that my family does and that was to watch some TV together. I am not a huge television fan, I do not own a TV and if there is anything worth watching then I will buy it on DVD to watch when I have the time. Two things got me thinking about this topic. Firstly, what was on the TV was God damn awful and it made me understand why I do not watch television. The other thing was that for Christmas I got the last season of Smallville on DVD. I do not think I know a friend that likes Smallville but I have watched it since it first come out and now, ten years later I am watching the final few episodes. Watching this show got me thinking that TV is not what it use to be all those years ago. Maybe it is just a dry period (that sounds gross) for TV but I just do not see any good programs out there anymore. Reality seems to have killed the decent shows and now slowly reality seems to be failing itself. Maybe it is just me getting older and turning into this bitter grumpy old man (lets hope not) but even reality television has had to transform into “scripted reality” with shows such as TOWIE and Made in Chelsea (I can not judge as I love TOWIE!) but it is as if we are going full circle and that things once again have to be scripted to fill up the dramatic gap that is missing from our lives. Part of me is intrigued to see what will be next in our television lives but then the other part of me just really does not care as I am sure it will be a car crash if it involves programs such as Eastenders and the other over the top, drained programs (I am sorry but I know I have just offended about half of my friends now!)    I am not too sure where I am going with this blog but I will really miss the idea that next Christmas I will not have that Smallville DVD under the tree like I have done every year for however long now. Whilst I admit that the show was not one of the best ever made, it was cute and it was a program that you could happily be entertained by for an hour each week (or if you are like me and you get addicted and you cant stop watching the DVD) I am not sure where my DVD habits will take my viewing life after this as the only program now that I have been religiously buying on DVD is House MD and we all know that the show itself will not have many years left under its belt as it has been going for a while already. Lets hope for our sanity that America can push out some gooduns soon to get us all hooked back into that world that takes us out of this one! 
Signing out, Thatmfeeling 


No comments:

Post a Comment