Tuesday 10 January 2012

High Speed Rail 2: Stop Complaining!


If any of you have read or passed a newspaper, watched a news channel or even browsed over a news website, you will know that the news is focused on the High Speed Rail 2 project that has just gotten its green light. Whilst I understand the problems and arguments that will come with just a huge and prominent project, I am surprised how some people have been reacting over it. I know that it is awful and incredibly frustrating for anyone that lives near this project as they will face major disruption and could even loose their homes but what i do not get is that these people should understand that our country does need things like this. It is fair enough that the MPs for these areas have all stated that you can increase capacity on the other train lines surrounding but I personally think that if you take a long hard look at the plans that by the time this project is completed, we will need this. If the UK does not develop then we will be stuck back behind everyone else, lacking the opportunities that we could have had if things like this had just gotten the go ahead. More people should travel by trains as it is better for the environment, it will be faster than cars and with the cost of driving and owning a car going up (yes I know that rain tickets are not cheap themselves) it will be better off to travel by trains. Whilst I love London and have a huge respect for the city, I do not turn a blind eye to the potential of other cities in our country. This line will benefit more places outside London by adding connection and speed. Yes in the process people will have to move, things will have to change but even if I was one of these people that had to move, I would not like it but I would understand. I hate the “yes but not in my back yard” attitude that people have and I think that sometimes people need to stop thinking so much about the small picture and focus more on the bigger picture. People may or may not agree with me but if the same attitude would have been taken with the London underground all those years ago then I think that there would be less disruption and negativity surrounding the works that are currently taking place with TFL. We can delay it but at the end of the day it will have to happen at some point and it is these people that would complain in any situation that will arise from and surrounds this project.


Above: The proposed final plan 

Above: Boooooo! 


Signing out, Thatmfeeling 

2 comments:

  1. It seems to be that people feel that investing in a project such as this when the country is in financial ruin, isn't the time to be wasting tax payer money on this. Maybe in the future, but not now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which I do understand to an extent. However i am a strong believer that this sort of project should be started in financial ruin as it would then be ready to use when the country is back on top (when we will actually need it) because if it was started when we are at our pinnacle then it would be completed when we are in financial ruin again. I know that can sound a little odd but we need this sooner rather than later :)

      Delete